IM Reasoning

Conversations to inspire critical thinking in clinical medicine and education

Welcome to IM Reasoning with your hosts Dr. Art Nahill and Dr. Nic Szecket, two general internists with a passion for teaching clinical reasoning.

Join us for case discussions, conversations and interviews that explore issues important to medical students, trainees and practitioners of clinical medicine, with a special focus on clinical reasoning, the once-mysterious process behind the remarkable abilities of the master clinician.

Hot off the mic.
Catch our latest episodes.

74 comments

1. MikeinPA says:

Love the podcast! Very insightful and interesting to listen to! You both have great on air presence. I especially enjoyed the cognitive autopsy episode, despite the awful outcome. Would love to hear more about how you unpack common patient symptoms to get a better understanding of each symptom (e.g. OPQRST; dolor, calor, rubor, tumor; etc) and how the patients answers alter your differential diagnoses. Thanks for all the great information! Look forward to future episodes!

1. Nicolas Szecket says:

Thanks Mike- sorry for the late reply but we’d been enjoying a lovely southern hemisphere summer. Glad you’ve enjoyed the podcast. I think we try to describe how we unpack common symptoms on our STC episodes. If you have a particular case in mind, send it along!

Art Nahill

2. Sarah Harris says:

Just found you two, through a recommendation from another podcast “The Curbsiders”. Have enjoyed several of your podcasts already, and very fond of your STC episodes. Just watched the Larry Weed video you posted. Thanks so much.It is amazing!!Thank you for the great work you are doing. -Sarah (NP in Maryland)

1. Nicolas Szecket says:

Thanks Sarah and sorry for the late response. Glad you foundd something useful (and entertaining) from the podcasts. Recommend us to your friends. You might want to follow us on Facebook and/or Twitter as we post more stuff there.

Art Nahill

3. Michael Martin, MD. Rochester, NY. says:

I am still listening to the podcasts, albeit in fits and starts. I have started reading the “Undoing Project”, by Michael Lewis, about Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky. Also, I have subscribed to the Isabel Project for my practice, and am using it side by side with VisualDx, another DDx search program.
    I hope you get some more listeners, because I have been telling everyone I can about your podcast.
    Keep up the good work!

Cheers from snowy Rochester.

1. Nicolas Szecket says:

Recently read the Undoing Project as well. Really enjoyed it although found the souring of the relationship between Kahneman and Tversky a bit sad, though probably inevitable.
      Thanks for talking us up- we could always use more listeners. Might want to follow us on Facebook or Twitter and suggest to friends (enemies perhaps?) that they do the same. We post more ‘stuff’ on those outlets than we do this website.

Art Nahill

4. Michael Martin, MD, Rochester, New York says:

Just discovered your podcast, and am really enjoying it! “Thinking Fast and Slow” has been sitting on my bookshelf and I may give it another go.
    I have long been a fan of the “vignette” in education. We used to have a regular “Bored Questions” segment in clinic at the SUNY Upstate Outpatient Clinic in Syracuse, New York. The master clinician (Walter W. Tunnessen) would write 4 small paragraphs on the blackboard (we had an actual blackboard, but it was green), and would invite us to speculate on the diagnoses. We were allowed to ask questions, which he might or might not answer. In the end the 4 diagnoses were revealed. It was an engaging way to encourage outside the box thinking.

1. Nicolas Szecket says:

Thanks for the feedback Michael. I certainly recommend dusting off that copy of Thinking Fast and Slow. It has lots to say about what we do in medicine. Love the “Board” Questions concept- sounds like it exercised the System 1 illness script muscles!

5. Nick Gowen says:

Guys,
    You need to make Chang (from Ep 32: STC with Chang) a regular contributor! Also thanks for a great discussion of what I think are the most useful cases to go over: atypical presentations of (relatively) common diseases.

Keep up the good work,
    Nick (Little Rock, AR hospitalist)